The game is afoot. Things are a’changin’. Life is about to kick me in the face, probably. Hopefully not, but most likely. And it’s quite possible that I deserve it for having been such a fucking coward for the last great portion of my life.
Thursday night, I broke up with my boyfriend of 7 years and a handful of months. I “talked it out” with him over the weekend, then gratefully accepted his offer to leave the house for awhile while I “thought about it,” knowing that I’d been thinking it over for way too long already.
In my mind, it had had been a year or so since I’d come to terms with the fact that we were not working as a couple. A year is a long fucking time, right? Well, tonight, I was going through old photographs on Facebook.
That’s a lie.
Tonight, I was hurriedly downloading all of the photos that the ex had ever taken of me that were tagged on Facebook, just in case he decides in a fit of pique to maybe destroy them all. Anyway, I’m downloading photo after photo, moving back through the years, looking at all the images of happier times, yadda, yadda, yadda. (Really, I was looking for the ones where my cheekbones are most defined and you can tell that I’ve inherited my grandmother’s green eyes.) Then I get to a photo of a karaoke party that I attended – alone – in 2009.
My old a capella buddy from undergrad, Shane, invited me to the party after I moved back to Chicago. It was all his med school friends, and I should have felt out of place, except that they played Guitar Hero all night, and everyone learned my name, and for a few hours I was friends with the cool kids. It was a fun party, despite my initial misgivings.
There was good food, too. Little finger sandwiches. I used to love them, back before gluten became a no-no. I remember snagging what could have possibly been a handful of little sandwiches in the kitchen, then running into Shane as I was stuffing my face. He’s painfully handsome, like a young John Travolta, so it’s always been tough for me to take him seriously. But he’s also dreadfully kind and sincere. He basically belongs in a romantic comedy as the “other” dude. The good catch that gets dumped in the end for the funny dude with issues. For a girl like me, guys like that are just eye candy – and I need my brain to be working to make everything else line up just right.
Shane’s adorable and kind, and I’ve looked at him more like an older brother ever since he got me into the a capella group during sophomore year of college. So it’s really no wonder that at this party, as I’m trying to shove sandwiches down my gullet, he starts talking to me about relationship stuff. At some point he asks me about my relationship with my boyfriend (now ex). He asks how long we’ve been together. By this time, it was over 3 years. Shane asks, “Do you think you’ll get married?” And I remember quite clearly how I felt.
There was a pause. I looked at him. My eyes narrowed, the way they do when I’m considering if I should tell the truth or not. I still remember how it felt to be mid-swallow, to feel the Bunny Bread triangle getting stuck in my throat, and how that was somehow less uncomfortable than me answering, “Maybe. I dunno, haven’t thought that far.” Meanwhile, inside, my little beast, the real me, was screaming “NO!”
So I knew, in 2009, that it wasn’t working. What is it about me that I’d take that visceral reaction and turn it into non-action for the next FIVE YEARS?????????? (I’m feeling dramatic, but my pinky’s getting tired. Do me a favor and imagine that the question marks just keep going.)
Now I’m starting to wonder if Shane knew this, too. Have I underestimated him? Did he see something that I didn’t? I’d ask him, but he’s probably elbow-deep in pussy right now. No, seriously – he’s an OBGYN. No, I’m not making that up.
Either way, it’s all over now. The relationship is over, and I’ve stopped downloading photos. I don’t really care what I looked like prior to 2009, or if I have those shots for posterity. I’m only interested in what happens next. From now on, it’s all about today. Well, not tomorrow – tomorrow’s going to suck. So much work at the office. But you know, after that.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Black-and-white mood | The Bliss of Reality
- Electric pole | Vintage Photography
- 1973 – Volkswagen Beetle | The Bliss of Reality
- 1970 – Volkswagen Beetle | The Bliss of Reality
- Night is young | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Crossing | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- 1969 – Volvo 142 | The Bliss of Reality
- Tetris | Crazy Art
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave -Living Simple Life and the Obstacle | Journeyman
- Droplet from water tap explaining to its brothers and sisters structure of the world ocean | Crazy Art
- Leaving for the Normal | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- Daily Prompt & The Button (short story) | The Jittery Goat
- Dp Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Sabethville
- of last straws | Anawnimiss
- dulu dan nanti | The Frozen Tears
- Leaving | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- I’ve Had Enough of This Utah Place
- Daily Prompt: Break Ups | Cabernet In The Dark
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Beyond the horizon | MC’s Whispers
- Who Really DECIDES? | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Harry Potter, Famous Dads and Stoke Newington | AS I PLEASE
- Dear John: a fictional letter | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: Leave an old and start a new! Can I ? | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Selbstständigkeit versus Festanstellung | Zeitarbeiterin
- when love appeared in a yellow brick road | kaleidoscope sparks of defiance
- DP: Leaving – Autumn by Ruswa Fatehpuri | aliabbasali
- We Gathered Yesterday | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave « Mama Bear Musings
- Crossroads | Inks and Scribbles
- A Letter To Say Goodbye | The Magic Black Book
- Too literal? Maybe, but I like the image…! | thoughtsofrkh
- Heartbreak | Flowers and Breezes
- COLORS AT THE CROSSROAD | SERENDIPITY
- Leaving Pittsburgh
- Daily Prompt: Why leaving a mouse is never easy | Blogizing
- I Give Up | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Daily Prompt: March 12 | Balmy Life
- Remember where you came from… | Rima Hassan
- Contemplation | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Going on a break | Eclecticfemale’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Awl and Scribe
- Leaving on a Jet Plane . . . | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Crossroads | A Day In The Life
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Finding Life
- The Final Goodbye | Parents Are People Too
- 412 | mesardonicmesarcastic
- To leave or not to leave? | Sue’s Trifles
- If You Leave | Existentialists R Us
- poetry: daily prompt: never really leave | Shaddie on spec. fiction
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- the times they are a ~changin | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- if you leave | klstar2000
- iQuit |
- Let it go: Leaving so that I may stand in my own shadow « psychologistmimi
- If I leave | Jennifer Paige
- Leave it All Behind | Knowledge Addiction
- Crossroads | The Land Slide Photography
- If I Leave Detroit | A Blog of One’s Own
- I’ve abandoned it all | See it. Shoot it. Scrap it.
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Basically Beyond Basic
- Just Like Everyday | Views Splash!
- Goodbye Ohio | Being HIS Light in a Dark World
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Life is great
- Things that make it worth staying | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | kenbigtrain
- DP: End of an Era? | Scorched Ice
- The Workplace Tribe….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Mild Reflections on Higher Education. | A Wiser Fella Than Myself Once Said…
- A Change | Real Momma Ramblings
- Life’s Transitions; A Mother’s Perspective | In For the Ride
- Daily Prompt: If you leave | Raevenly Writes
- Daily Prompt: Can I leave it behind? No! | Random & Real
- So We Stayed | Random Words
- “Crossroads” | Relax
- Final Farewell | Emotional Fitness
- crossroads | lemon lime follies
- The Road Less Traveled | The Shotgun Girls
- Leaving…Was It A Good Idea? | Cats, Coffee, And Life At Random
- If You Leave | Multi-Porpoise
- Among the Whispers
- If you leave… | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- If You Leave… | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Goodbye Paradise | Arriving at Departure
- Goodbye Fast-Food, I’m Leaving You For a Computer | Schizo Incognito
- Taking care in Rome, Hanoi and… | Mishe en Place
- Daily Prompt: Being Contemplative! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Mommy at a Crossroads | Mommy in Bonlee
- Crossroads: Daily Post | Destino
- A different kind of goodbye. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave, 12.03.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- The reasons for leaving UK for HK: Racism in the UK | Asianchemnerd
- Written Word Wednesday: Crossroads (Daily Post Prompt) | listlovelaugh
- Land Of Mike
- Daily prompt: Leaving Zagreb | roadsdiverge
- Day 71… Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Dear Blog ’14
- A Life Worth Living (Daily Prompt) | Riding Bitch
- The Psychological Journey of Leaving One’s Country and the Act of Acculturation | Institute for Hispanic Health Equity
- Totally Cliched Life of a Troubled Teen. | B.Kaotic
- Lost in the maddening crowd | vic briggs