There’s no answer to today’s Daily Post prompt. How could I possibly pick just three memories from 32 years, to be defined henceforth as the most memorable? My memories are like selections from a favorite jukebox: all are worthy of space, some are overplayed, a few are delightful one-hit wonders that bring a smile to my heart the moment they start up, and a handful fill me with dread, or at the least, sorrow. Each is most special at the moment it reaches the surface and starts to play, but no less special afterwards, when it slides back down to wait again for another turn who-knows-when. So no, my blog posts are not Buzzfeed. I won’t be making a Top 3 Memories list, at least not right now.
But I can take a second to tell you something I’ve been ruminating on today. This morning I had a few different thoughts that all worked their way into one big question. It’s already become apparent to me that I’ve been retreating further and further into my own imagination over the last few years, making up stories to keep my heart safe. I’ve always been a dreamer. It’s just what I do. There’s nothing wrong with that. And dreams (for me, at least) start with memories, so I snag what I can and store it away for later, then build on it. I often retreat into two vacations I took in 2004 and 2005; if dreams could count in recorded history, I’ve spent at least a year or two walking the streets of Vienna and Paris, eating late-night kebabs, crying over Egon Schiele paintings.
But now I suddenly find myself dreaming about things from my present. Happening things. Concrete things. Things that I can have, and that I don’t have to dream about – though that’s been fun, for pleasure’s sake. I’m telling myself that I know what to do with this information, but obviously I don’t, or I wouldn’t be sharing it here, waiting for insight.
Here’s what I do know, and what I will do: indulge myself. Become immersed. Invite participation. Share more than I’m typically comfortable sharing. Look at myself through someone else’s eyes, and love what I see. Teach him how to do the same. Listen to him breathe, and enjoy the way it makes me feel. Notice my trembling soul. Balance on it. Pirouette. Do it again, and again, and again, until I’m dizzy with the fact that my dreams aren’t half as good as my sudden, unexpected reality.
Fall asleep smiling. Wake up singing. Love. Me. You.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Oh Spinghar – I miss you dearly | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Last wish | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- reflections | yi-ching lin photography
- Dubai Art Season – SIKKA14 | Rima Hassan
- The day Agatha became my friend | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember- Psychological Analysis of Memories | Journeyman
- The Daily Prompt and a Short Story Named “Lobe” | The Jittery Goat
- The One That Could Have Been [Ndifreke’s Story] | She Writes
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | Endurance Training Institute
- Those Moments I Will Never Forget | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Impressions of poverty | AS I PLEASE
- The Memories of Stumping my doctor this past year: If everything goes into slow motion, my pain may just evaporate « psychologistmimi
- Memorable moments… | Kate Murray
- A Single Moment | melissuhhsmiles
- The most memorable moment in my childhood | wisskko’s blog
- DP Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | Sabethville
- Memories… | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- An evening of lovely moments: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Moments to remember | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- Moments to Remember: Makeover, Healing, & Traveling | Wander, Don’t Wonder
- I Remember ::E.N.Howie’s Motivational Moments
- The Memory Remains | Knowledge Addiction
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | Basically Beyond Basic
- Lost Logres of Love: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | new2writing
- Amber « Averil Dean
- Daily Prompt – Moments | The Wandering Poet
- Daily prompt ~ moments to remember ~ illicit love & pain! | Eclectic odds n sods
- Memorable Moments-Daily Prompt | A Day In The Life
- Moments to Remember | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompts: Moments to Remember | A Note From Jenn | A Note From Jenn | Personal Blog | Interests | Daily Me
- memories may be beautiful and yet | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Daily Prompts: Moments to Remember | A Note From Jenn | Personal Blog | Interests | Daily Me
- Not Long After Your Birth | Writing and Works
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | Kathy’s Blog: Healing from the Loss of a Parent
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember (out of the 931,305,600 seconds I’ve lived thus far…) | Life’s So Sweet
- Daily prompt: Moments to Remember | My name is Ellie and this is who I am.
- Memories of becoming a behavioral scientist advocate during these past ten years | Institute for Hispanic Health Equity
- A Grandfather’s Final Words of Wisdom | The Flavored Word
- Once ~ Moments To Remember ~ Daily Prompt | joannebest
- Memories Muscles
- Moments to Remember | Human Relationships
- Moments to Remember | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Nuts and Feet | cateritforward
- Moments to Remember | Life is great
- Some moments in the form of other posts | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Top 3 All-Time Memorable Memories That I Remember (Mostly) | Everyday Michelle: Living Wholeheartedly
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Three most Memorable Moments | Dylan Grace
- My three big moments to remember | Kat and her Blog
- Journeying Back In Time | The Pagal Banjaara
- Most Memorable Moments | One Educator’s Life
- Life is Memorable Moments | Live Life in Crescendo
- Lives to Remember. | 1+1-1=0
- Moments to Remember | Real Life Co.
- Folios of “I’m sorry’s” | thejimmieG
- Three moments I’ll never forget! | The Insight of a young soul
- Daily Prompt: Our 3 Moments to Remember | My Outlook on the World
- Memorable. | Simple Heart Girl
- What I remember | Passionate Dreaming
- The Past is Past and Yet It Lasts | meanderedwanderings
- Daily prompt: Moments to remember | Love your dog
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | My Atheist Blog
- Memorable Moments | Ramblings from a Frazzled Mind
- Mutts in Love | Views Splash!
- Memorable Moments – Moments to remember daily prompt. | What Katy Thought.
- Moments Etched in my Memory | My Weary Heart
- Hear No Evil – See No Evil – A Flash Fiction | My Little Avalon
- Daily Prompt: Remember That Time When… | Cabernet In The Dark
- Memorable Moments | Deliberating Dave
- Daily Prompt: March 25 | Balmy Life
- I Created A Human | …Properly Ridiculous…
- Memories Lost and Found | Curious to the MAX
- Moments that Matter | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- These Are the Moments: The First Day of School | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | Jubilee Journey
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | hlpetersen
- Moments to Remember | donikabajrami
- Daily Prompt : Moments to remember | Loin de zanzibar
- In which I have no original ideas | Infinitefreetime.com
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember | That Montreal Girl
- ic/ac/dc | Trucker Turning Write
- Three moments | Mario Types
- Reflections | U Be Cute – Follow the child inside of you…
- Daily Prompt: Moments to Remember…. | Kawanee’s Korner
- Do You Remember These? | Hokie Thoughts
8 Comments Add yours
I couldn’t pick three either. Or even ten.
I really enjoyed reading this.
I can’t find the Like button (women, such complicated creatures) but I liked this.
Lol! Yeah, I’ve read a few more people’s posts since writing this, and am still amazed that it seems like folks have a more or less clear idea of the big three moments of their lives. Maybe one day things just crystallize? I doubt that will ever happen in my case, haha. 🙂
By the way, thanks for letting me know about the “Like” button. For some reason, when I updated Jetpack all of my settings changed. It’s back now!