Ugh. Got kicked in the face with a strong dose of reality late last night (actually very, very early this morning). I owe a LOT in taxes this year as a result of not clearly understanding the ins and outs of claiming a loss on my taxes. There’s more to the story, but it’s too tedious to explain here. Let’s just chalk it up to idiocy and move on to making a solution (then never make the same mistake again.)
Overall, I’m in OK shape. It’s not like I’m being sent to debtors’ prison or anything – I’ll pay what I can, then make monthly installments until I’m all settled up with the government. I won’t starve, though according to my calculations, I’ll have to cut my grocery bill in half, and give up my little splurges, like the gym, manicures, and waxing. Oh well, the rest of the world is doing it, so no tears allowed there. Plus, I can always look at it as training for the Camino 🙂
But where it really gets hairy (ha!) is that after paying my regular bills, putting aside current taxes, and paying my monthly invoice for 2013 taxes, I will not have anything to put aside for this pilgrimage. So it looks like it’s time to get a second job, and possibly to start another side endeavor on Etsy or Ebay.
There are two things you should know about me if you haven’t figured it out already:
- I’m resourceful. True, I love my creature comforts and fashion splurges now, but I grew up poor and learned from my parents how to make the most of the little things. I can always find a way to make money when I need it – so that’s what I’m going to do.
- I don’t take “no” for an answer. I’m a Scorpio, which is a fixed sign, meaning that once I set my intentions, not much can shake me off of the trail. One of my favorite books, Linda Goodman’s Love Signs, says that Scorpios never give up – they just change their minds about what they originally wanted. No changing my mind on this trip, though. At the very worst, I’ll have to put it off for another year – but things will have to get pretty bad before that happens.
So today I contacted some old clients to let them know my new availability, then started a new profile on oDesk, with plans to adjust my schedule a bit to make room to become a virtual assistant. I figure that if I can squeeze in at least a few hours a day of admin work, and hopefully even pick up some additional freelance marketing jobs, I’ll be able to work my way into a slightly more profitable position. I’ll need to get a lot more regimented in my daily schedule (no more sleeping in), but with some luck and a little elbow grease, I’ll get back on track.
So…anyone looking for a virtual assistant?
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Thawing inch by inch | Never Stationary
- Condemned | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Home | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- It wasn’t even a nokia | Casually Short
- Dale And The Surreal | The Jittery Goat
- A Memory from the Kitchen Years | AS I PLEASE
- Second Chance | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- The Affair: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Things I regret | muffinscout
- Into the Forest I Wish I Went | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- DP Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way | Sabethville
- in your mother tongue, | y
- Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Climbing the Stick — Redux | Exploratorius
- Hindsight, the Road not Taken and a Conversation with a Man Named Nicodemus | meanderedwanderings
- Wish Upon A Star | marjanitalarosa
- Daily Post: Bye, Bye Paris | Willow Blackbird
- Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way | The Wandering Poet
- Equivocation | La Gatita Oscura
- It’s time to complain (Again) | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- No regrets | A mom’s blog
- Redo from Start! | L5GN
- His plan for me (pantoum) | peacefulblessedstar
- While I’m Away From You My Son | Raising Jed
- Too Much… | Tommia’s Tablet
- Wish to Uncover the hidden secrets of human brain | Outreach
- This is My Life | Real Momma Ramblings
- No Regrets Here | The Shotgun Girls
- Major Alert | Wanderlein
- OmG … Noodles Grow On My Head | So Not Simple
- Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way « Mama Bear Musings
- re-set | sarahscapes
- And THEN… Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Regrets In My Heart | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: February 11 | A Balmy Life
- Iteration – photo | alienorajt
- If I Could Turn Back Time | Losing It
- Daily Prompt – I Won’t Bribe! | Views Splash!
- What I did for love | Life is great
- If I could turn back time, would he now walk differently? | My thoughts on a page.
- Daily Prompt: I Did It My Way | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- 2-11-14 Weekly Travel Theme: Yellow (Iteration Department) | The Quotidian Hudson
- Olympic Hunger Games: Sochi
- A Real Life Do-Over | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- I Did It Not My Way | The Cheese Whines
- Two Pies in the Sky « psychologistmimi
- Daily Prompt: I Did It My Way | A Place Apart
- There is no rewind… | Willow’s Corner
- That tricky 501st blog entry… | thoughtsofrkh
- Thoughts Less Traveled
- If Life had a Refresh Button | Lilly Lane
- I did It My Way « One Crazy Mom
- Broken pots required | Mishe en Place
- Would You Bring a Casserole to a Mental Patient?
- If life had a restart button | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Tea and Toast | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Photos: Empire State Building In Successive Iteration | Mirth and Motivation
- Dear Future Me… | sayanything
- If I could turn back time | mombox
- Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- WIP> The Dirty Dozen Disciples (2-21-2014) | A List of the Best “End the Lies” Websites
- Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: I Did it My Way | jane sleeps here
- Iteration or Historical Regrets | Ana Linden
- Shuffling | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt: Being Decisive! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- My Way | tuckedintoacorner
- Tell Me Why… | Nodus Tollens
9 Comments Add yours
You have a very interesting blog.I loved reading your post,thanks.
I am sorry Anna. I am trying to feel for you, I have been up to my neck with the IRS before, but the cat is distracting me so much I can’t do anything but watch that little white paw come out, come out, again and again. I am fascinated and in love. Maybe you need to put that cat on the street, he/she would collect a fortune for you as people like me kept feeding the “kitty” just to watch.
Lol! I know, right? Wish I could teach one of my two to do a cute trick, but all they know is “sleep on Mom’s face” and “give me a treat before I do serious damage to the couch”. Gonna have to trade one in for a circus kitty to support the family 🙂