I’ve been trying to read one book per year since 2013, but have yet to do so. In 2015, I decided to start keeping running tally here on the blog. That year I only made it to 35. In 2016, I again challenged myself to read a book a week, but this time, only made it to 15 (eek). In 2017, I really stepped up my game, and made it to 48 books! Even so, I’d really love to get to that magic number – 52 – so here we go again.
It helps that I genuinely like keeping lists of what I’ve read; wish I’d done it over the course of my entire life. It’s always fun to look back on the year’s reads and think about where I was when I was reading such-and-such a book, or what I learned in one book that lead me to read another work later in the year.
Note: I tend to get bogged down in long, serious books for weeks, so just like last year, I’m making this challenge a little easier by adding graphic novels, trade paperbacks, and romance novels (all of which generally take me less than a couple of hours to devour) to the list.
- Fire on the Mountain, by Edward Abbey (1/14/18)
- A River in Darkness, by Masaji Ishikawa (1/18/18)
- Beautiful Hero: How We Survived the Khmer Rouge, by Jennifer Lau (1/20/18)
- Helmets and Lipstick: An Army Nurse in World War II, by Ruth G. Haskell (1/26/18)
- Granite Man, by Elizabeth Lowell (2/2/18)
- Sunset Embrace, by Sandra Brown (2/3/18)
- The Smuggler’s Lady, by Jane Feather (4/25/18)
- The Mysterious Bakery on Rue de Paris, by Evie Gaughan (8/13/18)
- Preacher, Vol. 1: Gone to Texas!, by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon, and Glenn Fabry (9/19/18)
- Preacher, Vol. 2: Until the End of the World, by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon, and Glenn Fabry (9/22/18)
- Fairies, Pookas, and Changelings: A Complete Guide to the Wild and Wicked Enchanted Realm, by Varla Ventura (10/6/18)
- Griffin and Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence, by Nick Bantock (10/6/18)
- Preacher, Vol. 3: Proud Americans, by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon, and Glenn Fabry (10/7/18)
- Preacher, Vol. 4: Ancient History, by by Garth Ennis, Steve Pugh, Carlos Ezquerra, and Richard Case (10/7/18)
- Forests of the Heart, by Charles de Lint (10/12/18)
- Angels, Ghosts, and the Otherworld: A Paranormal Memoir, by Shannon Vest (10/14/18)
- A Death Displaced (Lansin Island #1), by Andrew Butcher (10/15/18)
- A Body Displaced (Lansin Island #2), by Andrew Butcher (10/20/18)
- A Spirit Displaced (Lansin Island #3), by Andrew Butcher (10/21/18)
- At the Coalface, by Joan Hart and Veronica Clark (10/26/18)
- The Dead: A True Paranormal Story: A Study of Reincarnation, by Gare Allen (10/27/18)
- The Very Ineffective Haunted House & Other Strange Stories, by Jeff Burk (10/27/18)
- Beyond Dead: An Afterlife Adventures Novel, by Jordaina Sydney Robinson (11/4/18)
- Cooking with a Serial Killer: Recipes from Dorothea Puente, by Shane Bugbee (11/5/18)
- The Psychic Adventures of Derek Acorah, by Derek Acorah (11/6/18)*
*I’m still 20 books behind right now. In order to get back on track with this (and several other projects), I’ve cancelled my Hulu and Netflix accounts, and will be shutting down my Facebook account until I’ve caught up.